M.Sc. FORENSIC SCIENCE
1. B.Sc. with Chemistry as one of the major subjects and any two of the following subjects (Anthropology/ Biochemistry/ Biotechnology / Botany/ Genetics/ Mathematics/ Microbiology/ Molecular Biology/ Physics/ Statistics/ Zoology/ MBBS/ BDS/ B.Pharm./ B.Sc.(Forensic Science)) are also eligible, provided they have secured 50% marks in the aggregate of all the optional subjects.
2. In the Absence of candidates in (1), Graduates in Agricultural Science, Dairy Sciences, Horticulture, Forestry, Fisheries, Pharmacy, Engineering (Biotechnology), Medicine / Dental or Agricultural Engineering, with 50% marks in the aggregate are eligible.
M.Sc. Forensic Science
Welcome to M.Sc. in Forensic Sciences course at Garden City University (GCU), in Bangalore. If you have a passion for solving mysteries and investigating crimes, our program offers comprehensive knowledge and practical skills that will prepare you for a successful career in the field of forensic sciences. Here's why our M.Sc. in Forensic Sciences course stands out:
Our M.Sc. Forensic Sciences curriculum covers a wide range of key courses to ensure a well-rounded education. You will delve into subjects such as Signature Analysis, Forensic Photography, Case History, Criminal Profiling, Questioned Document Examination, Detection of Metallic Poisons, Analysis of Phenolphthalein in Rape Cases, Checking the Integrity of Files, Identification of Suspected Blood Evidences, and Toxicology Evidence Analysis. Through these courses, you will gain expertise in various forensic techniques and methodologies.
At GCU, we believe in hands-on learning, and our program offers practical exposure to work with tools like Stereomicroscopes, Crime Scene Management Kits, Fingerprint Kits, Comparison Microscopes, and Iodine Fuming Chambers. This practical experience will enable you to develop essential skills and enhance your understanding of forensic investigations.
Our industry-driven curriculum, is designed to meet the demands of the field. Through our tie-ups with SIFS in Delhi, you will have access to industry experts and real-life case studies. Guest lectures and industry speakers are invited regularly to provide insights into the latest advancements and practices in forensic sciences.
To foster your entrepreneurial spirit, GCU offers opportunities to engage with start-ups related to private investigation agencies. Our mentorship programs provide guidance and support from experienced professionals, ensuring that you receive personalized attention and advice throughout your academic journey.
GCU believes in the importance of research-based learning. In fields such as Digital Evidence, Drugs and Toxicology, Trace Evidence, and Tool Mark Analysis, you will have the chance to explore cutting-edge research and contribute to advancements in the field of forensic sciences.
As a student at GCU, you will also benefit from cross-disciplinary collaboration. Our collaborations with the Life Science and Computer Science departments enable you to broaden your knowledge and develop a multidisciplinary skill set, giving you a competitive edge in the job market.
Furthermore, GCU provides specializations in various areas of forensic sciences, allowing you to tailor your degree to align with your career goals and interests.
We understand the importance of a well-rounded education, and GCU promotes co-curricular activities through various clubs. Engaging in these activities not only enhances your personal development but also fosters teamwork and leadership skills.
By choosing GCU for your M.Sc. in Forensic Sciences, you will be joining a vibrant academic community committed to providing a world-class education. Our industry tie-ups, practical approach, research opportunities, and international collaborations set us apart as the best university for forensic sciences in Bangalore.
Join us at GCU, where you will receive the knowledge, skills, and guidance necessary to excel in the fascinating field of forensic sciences.
- Wide range of key courses covering Signature Analysis, Forensic Photography, Criminal Profiling, and more.
- Practical exposure with equipment like Stereomicroscopes and Fingerprint Kits.
- Industry-driven curriculum with tie-ups with SIFS for access to industry experts and case studies.
- Emphasis on research-based learning in Digital Evidence, Drugs and Toxicology, and more.
- Cross-disciplinary collaboration with Life Science and Computer Science departments.
A BA English with Comparative Literature degree from Garden City University (GCU) opens up a multitude of exciting and rewarding career paths. Here are some of the most trending options for graduates:
- Forensic Scientist: Forensic scientists work in forensic laboratories, conducting scientific analysis of various types of evidence. They use advanced techniques and technologies to analyze DNA, fingerprints, ballistics, toxicology, and more. Recruiting companies in India for forensic scientists include the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL), State Forensic Science Laboratory (SFSL), and private forensic laboratories like SIFS India and Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL).
- Crime Scene Investigator: Crime scene investigators are responsible for processing and documenting crime scenes. They collect, preserve, and analyze physical evidence, ensuring its integrity for further investigation. Recruiting organizations in India for crime scene investigators include the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), State Police Departments, and private detective agencies such as SIFS India and ACFE India.
- Forensic Ballistics Expert: Forensic ballistics experts specialize in analyzing firearms, ammunition, and bullet patterns. They examine and compare ballistic evidence to determine the type of weapon used and match bullets to firearms. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic ballistics experts include the CFSL, SFSL, and the National Forensic Sciences University (NFSU).
- Forensic Toxicologist: Forensic toxicologists analyze biological samples for the presence of drugs, poisons, and toxic substances. They play a crucial role in cases involving drug-related crimes, poisoning, and post-mortem examinations. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic toxicologists include CFSL, SFSL, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), and private forensic laboratories.
- Forensic DNA Analyst: Forensic DNA analysts specialize in analyzing DNA samples to establish connections, identify individuals, and provide evidence in criminal cases. They work with DNA databases, perform DNA profiling, and provide expert testimony in courts. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic DNA analysts include CFSL, SFSL, NFSU, and private laboratories such as Reliance Life Sciences.
- Forensic Document Examiner: Forensic document examiners analyze handwriting, signatures, and other document-related evidence to determine authenticity and detect forgery. They provide expert opinions and testimony in cases involving questioned documents. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic document examiners include CFSL, SFSL, and private forensic laboratories like Truth Labs.
- Forensic Digital Analyst: Forensic digital analysts retrieve and analyze data from digital devices, such as computers and mobile phones, to uncover evidence in cybercrime cases. They specialize in digital forensics and data recovery techniques. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic digital analysts include the Cyber Crime Investigation Cells of State Police Departments, CBI, and private cybersecurity firms like KPMG and Ernst & Young.
- Forensic Anthropologist: Forensic anthropologists analyze skeletal remains to determine factors such as age, sex, stature, and potential causes of death. They provide expertise in cases involving skeletal remains or mass disasters. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic anthropologists include CFSL, & SFSL.
- Forensic Odontologist: Forensic odontologists use dental records and dental evidence to identify human remains and analyze bite marks. They collaborate with forensic teams and provide expert testimony in criminal cases. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic odontologists include CFSL, SFSL, and dental institutes like Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences.
- Forensic Psychologist/Profiler: Forensic psychologists apply their knowledge of psychology to understand criminal behaviour and motivations. They may provide insights into criminal profiling and contribute to investigations. Recruiting organizations in India for forensic psychologists/profilers include CFSL, SFSL, AIIMS, and private consulting firms specializing in forensic psychology.
Fee structure for the Academic year 2023-24
Domestic / NRI Fee Structure
M.Sc Forensic Science
3 Subsequent Instalments
International Fee Structure
M.Sc Forensic Science
3 Subsequent Instalments
CAUTION DEPOSIT : Rs. 5000/- to be paid by all the students. (Rs. 3000/- will be refunded after successful completion of the course and Rs. 2000/- would be retained towards registration fees for life time Alumni Association Membership)
EXAMINATION FEES PER SEMESTER
UG Programs: Rs.3000/-, PG Programs: Rs.3500/-, Research Programs: Rs.5500/-, Diploma Programs: Rs.3000/-, Engineering : Rs. 3500/-
- Introduction to Forensic Science, Criminal Law, Criminology and Police Administration(Theory & Practical)
- Criminalistics (Theory & Practical)
- Forensic Biology (Theory & Practical)
- Fundamentals of Fingerprint examination and Questioned Documents(Theory & Practical) Soft Core Courses
- Research Methodology and Biostatistics
- General Instrumentation 1 (Theory & Practical)
- Forensic Chemistry (Theory & Practical)
- Forensic Medicine, Toxicology and Forensic Anthropology (Theory & Practical)
- Minor Dissertation
- Trace Evidence and Photography
- Research Methodology with Ethics in Research
- Forensic Ballistics / Advanced Forensic Chemistry (Theory & Practical)
- General instrumentation-2 / Forensic Serology, Genetics & DNA typing (Theory & Practical)
- Cyber Forensics /Advanced Forensic Toxicology (Theory & Practical)
- Questioned documents / Forensic Dermatoglyphics (Theory & Practical) Soft Core Courses
- Bioinformatics Open Elective Course
- DNA typing Self Study
- Juvenile Justice System
- Major Dissertation
List of companies where UG & PG Dept Life Of Science students of GCU got placement opportunities:
Why I Chose GCU
Mr. Suhwan Lim
The reason why I chose Garden City University is that it empowers students to flourish their knowledge not only theoretically but also practically. They teach students how to implement whatever they have learned in the classes in real-world situations, and it inspired me to join the university.
Garden City University also teaches students how to socialize with people, bringing them a positive impact. I believe that the way they educate students will eventually lead students to be leaders of the upcoming new era in the future.
Garden City University is a 28-year-old institution and INTERDISCIPLINARY in nature. The University has eight Schools under it offering courses from Diploma to Bachelor to Post graduation to PhD. The university has students from 81 different countries and every state and union territory in India. The University has the unique mix of Arts, Science and Management Education offered with Technology as the base. Be it Media studies, Life Sciences or Hotel Management, the emphasis is on practical education with the aid of technology tools to enhance learning and equip a student to work in the industry. Not to mention GCU has the credit of awarding graduation certification to 28 Colonels of the Indian Army attached to the Corps of Military Police.
The admission process is based on the courses offered at the UG and PG level.
The student goes online, fills the application with required details and files the same online for registering for the programme of choice. This will be accompanied by paying a registration fee as mentioned in the application form.
However, if the student needs any clarification, be it regarding the programme of choice or GCU as a University, entry criteria etc, the counsellors at the University are just a call away.
Once the registration process is completed, the admissions department shall communicate on further documents required and fee to be paid for the programme of choice.
Post the above process the student shall submit their original certificate to the registrar’s office for validation and verification. Once this process is completed the student gets enroled and an ID card is issued to the student. (Hostel formalities and transportation facilities are addressed in this page)
After enrolment the student shall voluntarily apply for GCU’s talent test which shall be the criteria for availing scholarship for the first year of study. Such talent test shall be conducted year on year to encourage studious students and also set the criteria for a UG student to be the most favoured student of choice for PG programmes. Apply Now
The University runs its own hostels for boys and girls separately. The hostels are in the vicinity of the campus with automated entry and further secure measures. More details on the hostel, fees and terms and conditions may be availed from the admissions office.