The MA in Journalism & Mass Communication at Garden City University is outlined with subtle observation on the contemporary advancements in the field of journalism and mass communication. The curriculum is precisely refined to promote an innovative learning platform to assimilate the fundamentals of journalism & communication aspects.
The School of Media Studies at Garden City University provides an advanced experience of interactive sessions to their students with the corporate organizations. Thus the students acquire an edge to face the world, preparing them to make their own bench mark and unleash the scholastic cult. The syllabus of this programme is crafted in a way which is cogent, extensive and detailed, and avails an excellent opportunity for the students to pursue research in this genre of media studies.
The MA programme in Journalism & Mass Communication consists of distinctive highlights such a number of modules, which incorporates the dissertations combined with a core course. GCU provides broad range of options available in selection of additional language papers and there is a high degree of flexibility in course of choosing the credit system and an induction towards the study of contemporary literary issues. We nurture the students to enhance their rational theory through the concrete practices of journalism components.
- “Joy of Learning” is the principle guiding strategy for all courses at GCU.
- To make students acquainted with the advancements in the area of extant fundamental ideas by adopting Core Course Curriculum Consensus (4’Cs) which aids for the practice of critical reading, analytical reasoning, and debate which are the basic forms of language analysis.
- To enable students to construct their career options from a plethora of specialised courses featuring the whole journalism genres, contemporary thought, and culture. In GCU we help the student to escalate their knowledge of their chosen areas of studies.
- WTo train and prepare our students in the skill sets necessary for research & extension, both within and outside the academic arena.
- GCU employs the “ARM” pedagogy method which fuels ambition in the student, provides ample resources to excel and continuous mentoring for the students to achieve their goal.
MA Journalism and Communication is designed to provide high-quality journalistic education, maintaining an optimum balance between theory and practice. This master’s degree programs is designed to equip the students with knowledge in handling the latest technology advancement in media, with a balanced curriculum that challenges students to confront contemporary issues in media theory, cultural issues, research, policy, and management. To provide them practical knowledge about the industry, we also ensure to bring several eminent personalities from the media industry. Practical papers are reporting, editing, newspaper and layout designing. Students are given hands-on experience through our in-house monthly magazine (GCC WORLD), a weekly newspaper (GCC Élan) and other periodicals. The course stimulates the students to become media professionals such as reporters, editors, PROs, advertising creative heads and corporate communication head in future.
The course materials are varied, ranging from print media, public relations, media management to the advertisement and creative writing. The most constant factor that facilitates the teaching process at GCU includes a critical and analytical framework to teach a unit per module. The syllabus is drawn from the theories as proposed by the contemporary theorists & thereby helps the student to acquire key skills. The students will study several papers refined by academic as well as industrial experts; viz, Photography, reporting, editing, advertisements, PR activities, Radio Journalism and other similar subjects.
- PRINCIPLES OF COMMUNICATION
- INTRODUCTION TO JOURNALISM
- INTRODUCTION TO ELECTRONIC MEDIA
- REPORTING & EDITING
- LAB JOURNAL PRODUCTION
- FUNDAMENTALS OF PHOTOGRAPHY
- PRESENTATION SKILLS FOR BROADCAST MEDIA
- MEDIA MANAGEMENT & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- DEVELOPMENT COMMUNICATION
- ADVERTISING: PRINCIPLES & PRACTICES
- INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION
- NEW MEDIA
- RADIO JOURNALISM
- BUSINESS JOURNALISM
- MEDIA RESEARCH METHODS
- PR AND CORPORATE COMMUNICATION
- TV JOURNALISM
- TV PRODUCTION
- FILM STUDIES
- MEDIA RESEARCH LAB (MINOR PROJECT)
- EVENT MANAGEMENT
- FILM STUDIES
- TV, DOCUMENTARY& NEWS PRODUCTION
- WEB DESIGNING AND / E-PORTFOLIO PREPARATION
- WEB DESIGNING AND / E-PORTFOLIO PREPARATION
The School of Media Studies also offers credit based research modules which are the composite for the respective programme. This will in turn aids for the preparation of the dissertation materials.
Career prospects are as follows:
- The students can be recruited into various positions such as media reporters, PR representatives, Guest relation executives, project managers, digital marketing, content developers, blog writers, film editors, media technical support.
Academics: a) Journalism Graduates who have secured 50% of marks in Journalism (optional subject) at the degree.
b) Non-Journalism Graduates Graduates with at-least 50% marks in the aggregate of all the optional subjects at the degree.
Desirable Aptitude And Areas Of Interest
The students should have the enthusiasm for scholastic activities such as rational reading & writing practices, media research, analytical reasoning capability, communicative approach and they should show interest in a compact module structure.
The students are expected to participate in various academic and also in community-based programs, making the most of the opportunities available to you.
You are encouraged to be active in varied extra-curricular activities and enjoy participation in areas such as sport, traveling, outdoor activities and community work.
Although we do not require applicants to have been in paid or voluntary employment, we welcome applications from those who can manifest assiduity and propensity to prioritise by being employed in assignments alongside their studies.
- Register/ Apply Online
- Generation of Unique ID Number
- Selection of Courses Offered
- Enrolment Details
- Entrance for Scholarship/Educational Loan
- Fee Payment
- Personal Interview with Dean
- Enrolment Confirmed
- Issuing of GCU Enrolment Letter
- Entry to GCU Student’s Dashboard Entry