BACHELOR OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT
Pass in 10+2 / Equivalent with minimum of five subjects
Bachelor of Hotel Management
Step into the extraordinary world of hospitality through our Bachelor of Hotel Management program designed to shape the future leaders of this vibrant industry, empowering students with exceptional skills and expertise to thrive in an ever-evolving global landscape. At GCU, we provide a comprehensive and industry-driven curriculum that prepares students for a successful career in the dynamic field of hospitality management. Here's why GCU stands out as the best choice for pursuing your Bachelor of Hotel Management degree.
Our program covers a wide range of key courses essential for a well-rounded education in hotel management. Students will be exposed to various aspects of the industry, including food production, food and beverage service, front office operations, housekeeping operations, HRM, travel and tourism management, accommodation management, bakery confectionery and patisserie, hospitality marketing, hospitality law, hospitality research, and hospitality costing.
We believe in the power of experiential learning. At GCU, students gain practical hands-on experience in different cuisines such as French, Indian, Italian, Mexican, Chinese, and Thai. They will also receive training in bakery, confectionery, and patisserie. Our program includes practical training in restaurant management, bar management, gueridon service, and mixology, which are vital components of food and beverage service operations and management. Additionally, students will learn essential skills in housekeeping management, including bed-making techniques, area cleaning, floral arrangements, and interior design concepts. We also provide training on hotel software, guest folio calculation, revenue management, case studies, and role play as part of front office management.
To excel in the hospitality industry, students need to master specialized tools and skills. At GCU, we provide training in handling knives, kitchen utensils, and restaurant and bar equipment. Students will develop creative skills in floral arrangement and learn innovative techniques in the preparation and presentation of gastronomic delights. They will also have the opportunity to explore creative chocolate-making and sugar arts.
Research-Based Learning: We foster a culture of innovation and research in hospitality domains. GCU encourages students to engage in research-based learning, allowing them to contribute to the advancement of the field. Students are provided with opportunities to work on innovative projects in molecular gastronomy and explore research topics related to hospitality
GCU values industry relevance and maintains collaborations with professional associations such as the Professional Housekeeper's Association, South India Hotel and Restaurant Association, and the Federation of Hotel and Restaurant Associations of India. These partnerships provide students with exposure to industry standards, practices, and networking opportunities. Additionally, GCU has established ties with leading five-star properties in the city, including Marriott, Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Shangri-La, Radisson, Hyatt, Taj, The Oberoi, Leela Hotels, and ITC Hotels, ensuring that students gain real-world insights and experiences.
To bridge the gap between theoretical knowledge and practical application, industrial training is a vital part of our program. Students have the opportunity to undergo 6 months to a yearlong training in hotels, where they can refine their technical skills and develop into well-rounded hospitality professionals.
To enhance the learning experience, GCU regularly invites guest speakers and industry experts. These professionals provide valuable insights, share their experiences, and interact with students, keeping them updated on the latest industry trends and practices.
GCU encourages students to nurture their entrepreneurial spirit and offers various hospitality-related skills development opportunities. Whether it's culinary skills, mixology, management, accounting, or marketing skills, students are empowered to explore their entrepreneurial potential.
We understand the importance of guidance and support in a student's journey. At GCU, we provide mentorship programs where each junior or senior student is paired with a mentor from the hospitality industry. These mentors offer valuable advice, share their wisdom, and provide professional development resources to help students navigate their career paths successfully.
GCU offers professional certifications to enhance students' knowledge and skills in specialized areas such as food packaging and technology, food fortification, managing services, food sustainability, mindful eating, healthy cooking specialization, and food safety and toxicology. These certifications add value to students' resumes and increase their employability.
GCU encourages cross-disciplinary collaboration, allowing students to explore projects and initiatives that integrate hospitality with other departments such as life sciences, computational sciences, and fashion apparel design. These collaborations provide a diverse array of choices and foster innovation and creativity.
To ensure overall growth and development, GCU organizes numerous extracurricular activities. Our Department of Hospitality Management and Technology offers the Club De Gastronome, a unique platform for students to engage in gastronomic experiences and further their passion for the culinary arts.
Choosing GCU for your Bachelor of Hotel Management education means immersing yourself in a holistic learning environment that combines theoretical knowledge with practical experience, industry collaborations, and a focus on personal and professional growth. Join us at Garden City University and embark on an exciting journey towards a successful career in the thriving hospitality industry.
- Extensive course offerings covering practical hands-on learning in various cuisines and hospitality operations.
- Specialized tools and skills training in culinary arts and specialized areas such as food packaging and technology, food fortification, managing services, food sustainability.
- Accreditation and collaborations with professional associations such as SIHRA and FHRAI.
- Industrial training for 6 months for real-world experience and skill development, at leading luxury hotels.
- Guest lectures and industry speakers every month for industry insights.
- Entrepreneurship opportunities to nurture entrepreneurial skills.
After completing a Bachelor of Hotel Management degree course at GCU, graduates have a wide range of trending career paths to explore within the hospitality industry. Here are some of the most sought-after career paths that open up for BHM graduates:
- Hotel Manager/Assistant Manager: Graduates can pursue managerial roles in hotels and resorts, overseeing operations, guest satisfaction, staff management, and financial performance. Recruiting companies: Taj Hotels, The Oberoi Group, ITC Hotels.
- Food and Beverage Manager: This role involves managing the food and beverage operations in hotels, restaurants, or catering companies. Graduates can oversee menu planning, staff training, customer service, and quality standards. Recruiting companies: Marriott Hotels, Hyatt Hotels, The Leela Palaces, McDonald's.
- Event Manager/Coordinator: Graduates with strong organizational and communication skills can excel in planning and executing events such as weddings, conferences, and exhibitions. Recruiting companies: Wizcraft, Wedding Sutra, Ferns N Petals, Event Management Development Institute.
- Revenue Manager: Revenue management professionals optimize hotel revenue by implementing pricing strategies, forecasting demand, and analyzing market trends to maximize profitability. Recruiting companies: Accor Hotels, Radisson Hotels, InterContinental Hotels Group, OYO Rooms.
- Front Office Manager: Graduates can work in front office departments, ensuring smooth check-in/check-out processes, handling guest inquiries, managing reservations, and providing excellent customer service. Recruiting companies: Hilton Hotels, ITC Hotels, The Park Hotels, Lemon Tree Hotels.
- Sales and Marketing Manager: This role involves promoting hotels, resorts, or hospitality services to increase occupancy and revenue. Graduates can develop marketing campaigns, manage online presence, and build relationships with corporate clients. Recruiting companies: Marriott International, Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL), The Lalit Hotels, Le Meridien Hotels.
- Restaurant Manager: Graduates can take up managerial positions in restaurants, cafes, or food service establishments, overseeing operations, staff management, customer service, and profitability. Recruiting companies: Barbeque Nation, The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL), Olive Bar & Kitchen, The Table.
- Spa and Wellness Manager: With a focus on health and wellness trends, graduates can manage spa facilities, wellness centers, or resorts offering spa services. They ensure smooth operations, quality service delivery, and customer satisfaction. Recruiting companies: Ananda in the Himalayas, The Serai, Kairali Ayurvedic Group, Jiva Spa.
- Hospitality Consultant: Graduates can work as consultants, providing expertise and guidance to hospitality businesses in areas such as operations, marketing, revenue management, or sustainability. Recruiting companies: EY India, KPMG India, HVS India, Deloitte India.
- Entrepreneurship: BHM graduates can venture into entrepreneurship by starting their own hotels, restaurants, cafes, catering services, or hospitality-related businesses.
PEDAGOGY & ASSESSMENTS
At Garden City University, we believe in the power of active teaching methodologies to create a transformative learning environment that prepares our Hotel Management students to excel in the industry. Our pedagogy encompasses a range of dynamic approaches, including immersive case study assessments that challenge students to apply their knowledge to real-world scenarios specific to the hospitality field. Through engaging mini projects, students unleash their creativity, problem-solving skills, and teamwork abilities, fostering a sense of innovation and adaptability required in the hotel industry. We’ve also integrated independent study opportunities through specialized online platforms, empowering students to explore their interests and deepen their understanding of hotel management concepts. The pinnacle of our pedagogy is the major project, where students delve deep into a hotel management subject of their choice, showcasing their expertise and research acumen. Complementing these experiences is our mandatory industry internship, where students gain invaluable practical exposure, bridging the gap between theory and real-world application.
Our assessment methods are diverse and comprehensive, ensuring a holistic evaluation of our hotel management students' capabilities. Internal assessment quizzes, end semester examinations, and viva sessions for projects and internships form an integral part of our evaluation process. Additionally, students are challenged with case study solving, field surveys, and field visits specific to the hospitality industry, providing them with practical exposure and hands-on learning opportunities. Our multifaceted assessment approach ensures that students are not only well-prepared academically but also equipped with practical skills, critical thinking abilities, and a deep understanding of real-world applications in hotel management.
Pass in 10+2 / Equivalent with minimum of five subjects.
Wherever grading system or any other system is followed for evaluating the performance of the candidate in the qualifying examination, the applicant should ensure that a certificate indicating the percentage obtained has to be submitted through the University / Board last studied. Applicants passing GCE / O / A level examination should have passed 4 + 3 or 5 + 2 subjects at the O & A level respectively.
The examination approved by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) only will be considered by the Garden City University, others who have passed the examination which is not in the AIU approved list shall obtain equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities.
Fee structure for the Academic year 2023-24
Domestic / NRI Fee Structure
INR 30,000 + 18000 Hospitality Kit
7 Subsequent Instalments
International / NRI structure
$ 500 + INR 18000 Hospitality Kit
7 Subsequent Instalments
CAUTION DEPOSIT : Rs. 5000/- to be paid by all the students. (Rs. 3000/- will be refunded after successful completion of the course and Rs. 2000/- would be retained towards registration fees for life time Alumni Association Membership)
EXAMINATION FEES PER SEMESTER
UG Programs: Rs.3000/-, PG Programs: Rs.3500/-, Research Programs: Rs.5500/-, Diploma Programs: Rs.3000/-, Engineering : Rs. 3500/-
- Food Production Foundation I (Theory & Practical)
- Food & Beverage Service Foundation I (Theory & Practical)
- Front Office Operations Foundations I (Theory & Practical)
- House Keeping Operations Foundations I (Theory & Practical)
- Environmental Studies
- Hospitality Communication
- Food Production Foundation II (Theory & Practical)
- Food & Beverage Service Foundation II (Theory & Practical)
- Front Office Operations Foundations II (Theory & Practical)
- House Keeping Operations Foundations II (Theory & Practical)
- Modern Indian Language
- Speaking Kannada
- Introduction to Indian Cookery (Theory & Practical)
- Food & Beverage Service Operations I (Theory & Practical)
- Front Office Operations I (Theory & Practical)
- Front Office Operations I (Theory & Practical)
- Foreign Language Skills I
- Food Production Operations, Industry Exposure I
- Food & Beverage Service Operations, Industry Exposure I
- Front Office Operations, Industry Exposure I
- Housekeeping Operations, Industry Exposure I
- Personality Skills for Hospitality - Learning from Industry
- Introduction to Italian and Mexican Cuisine (Theory & Practical)
- F&B Service Management-I (Theory & Practical)
- Bakery, Confectionery & Patisserie (Theory & Practical)
- Accommodation Management-I
- Researching for Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Hospitality Law
- Accounting Skills for Hospitality
- Introduction to Chinese & Thai Cuisine (Theory & Practical)
- F&B Service Management-II (Theory & Practical)
- Accommodation Management-II (Theory)
- Computers in Hospitality Services (Theory & Practical)
- Project Work
- Hospitality Marketing
- Foreign language Skills-II
- Human Resource Management
- Safety, Security & Travel Documentation
- Retail Management
- Event Management
- Laundry Management
- Food service management
- House Keeping Management (Theory & Practical)
- Culinary Management (Theory & Practical)
- Front Office Management (Theory & Practical)
- Bakery Management (Theory & Practical)
- Ancillary Hospitality Industry
- Travel & Tourism Management
- Skill Enhancement for Media and Journalism in Hospitality
- Human Resource Practices – Industry Exposure
- Safety, security and travel documentation Facilitation Management Practices-Industry Exposure
- Practices in Retail Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Event Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Laundry Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Food Service Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Housekeeping Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Culinary Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Bakery Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Front Office Management (Industry Exposure)
- Practices in Foreign Cuisines (Industry Exposure)
- Writing Skill for Hospitality (Writing of Industrial Reports)
- Hospitality Operation Software Skills
- Trade Presentation Skills
Why I Chose GCU
Jumaina Ali Shareef
One of the things I love the most about Garden City College is the emphasis placed on different learning styles beyond the classroom; from team-based learning activities with our classmates to studying aspects and concepts of hotel management here, you really feel like the experience and learning are tailored to suit your needs. The Faculty and administration here are constantly working directly with us in order to make the Hotel Management program the best it can be for us as students. I am constantly impressed by how earnestly our feedback is incorporated into the day-to-day student life. The modules within the college exemplify this idea not only academically, but also socially, by providing a sense of ‘home’ while on campus. I strongly recommend Garden City University to those who want to be a success in this Industry.
Reem Shakeel Nadeem
I would like to take this opportunity for expressing my sincere gratitude to the management & the faculty members of BHM department, Garden City College., without whose help, I would not be able to write this. I consider myself fortunate enough to have been placed in such a unique department, serving a unique role with one of the leading Hotel chains of the country. My dream and aspirations has been made possible by the collective efforts of team BHM, by inculcating the ethics, morals and values of a professional during my days in college. All the teachings, lessons and assignments that I have gone through have gradually helped me develop, sharpen & polish my skill-set to earn this rewarding job and has also contributed in recognizing me as a competent resource for the company. While on the same subject, I would like to throw some light on the high standards of grooming & personal development that is maintained in GCC and due to which I blended seamlessly into the white-collar industry. When I look back on all those days of hard work and pain, I can say with pride & honour, that they were totally worth it. I would be forever indebted to my alma mater and its wonderful team of faculty members for the many lessons and opportunities that were given to me.
When I studied Hotel Management at GCC, we were still under Bangalore University. I loved every minute of it. Today though, you enter the gates of Garden City University, it looks like a university that could easily stand up to any foreign university in the world today. Stunning greenery is everywhere you look and there is an enhanced air of academia. You see students who lead well-balanced lives between extracurricular activities and learning their curriculum. The progress of this university has been truly incredible. One thing that has not changed though is the commitment of the faculty to excellence, in both imparting their knowledge to the students as well as being there for them as people to support them in their lives. The faculty has always managed to strike a healthy balance between being lecturers and being fully approachable even outside class to hear out a student in need. Therefore, although hotel management is a difficult field to enter, with long work hours, and a physically and mentally demanding work environment, the students are prepared for the world they will enter into after graduating college, whichever path they choose, because the faculty have strengthened them and given them all the knowledge necessary for a successful career.I have made lifelong friends, from both the student body and faculty at GCC and I am proud to call Garden City College my alma mater.
I had a great experience with GCU. They helped to use “Real World” examples to help make the material not seem so cumbersome and to relate to how I can use it in my everyday occupation. I think the most valuable thing that I learned was the concepts behind what I was doing every day. I know that having the knowledge and the degree will help me to advance. My stay here has been accompanied by a wide array of opportunities to expand myself in extra-curricular activities. The staff is willing to assist with ease. I have also been aided to pursue a hotel management program with a very comfortable class size which allows best one on one interaction with lecturers who are very knowledgeable of what they are doing and teaching. “I felt welcomed and at ease from the first day I entered the college. The staff are some of the most amazing people I have met and I owe a great deal of my career to them. We were always encouraged to take part in various co-curricular activities and competitions, this not only helped in our holistic growth, but also helped us in building a network with other professionals and students. I would like to thank everyone at BHM department in GCU for their continued support and encouragement.
List of companies where UG Hotel Management students of GCU got placement opportunities:
Garden City University is a 28-year-old institution and INTERDISCIPLINARY in nature. The University has eight Schools under it offering courses from Diploma to Bachelor to Post graduation to PhD. The university has students from 81 different countries and every state and union territory in India. The University has the unique mix of Arts, Science and Management Education offered with Technology as the base. Be it Media studies, Life Sciences or Hotel Management, the emphasis is on practical education with the aid of technology tools to enhance learning and equip a student to work in the industry. Not to mention GCU has the credit of awarding graduation certification to 28 Colonels of the Indian Army attached to the Corps of Military Police.
The admission process is based on the courses offered at the UG and PG level.
The student goes online, fills the application with required details and files the same online for registering for the programme of choice. This will be accompanied by paying a registration fee as mentioned in the application form.
However, if the student needs any clarification, be it regarding the programme of choice or GCU as a University, entry criteria etc, the counsellors at the University are just a call away.
Once the registration process is completed, the admissions department shall communicate on further documents required and fee to be paid for the programme of choice.
Post the above process the student shall submit their original certificate to the registrar’s office for validation and verification. Once this process is completed the student gets enroled and an ID card is issued to the student. (Hostel formalities and transportation facilities are addressed in this page)
After enrolment the student shall voluntarily apply for GCU’s talent test which shall be the criteria for availing scholarship for the first year of study. Such talent test shall be conducted year on year to encourage studious students and also set the criteria for a UG student to be the most favoured student of choice for PG programmes. Apply Now
The University runs its own hostels for boys and girls separately. The hostels are in the vicinity of the campus with automated entry and further secure measures. More details on the hostel, fees and terms and conditions may be availed from the admissions office.